How well do you know your drains? With 30 years of plumbing under my belt, I can recommend with certainty that you start a close personal relationship with your drains. You know people who have special relationships with their prized possessions– cars, tools, computers, gaming consoles, grills, and the list goes on. I am here to tell you to start this kind of relationship with your plumbing. Ugh….I know. I know it sounds crazy, but a strong relationship with your drains is as important as your family (maybe even more than your in-laws). haha!
Think about it, your drains are with you all day long during some of your most important and personal moments. Kitchen drains help with prepping, cooking, and cleaning for all your meals. They support you through endless loads of laundry and yard work. Bathroom drains are with you during those quiet moments alone and, yes, they have even seen you naked! Actually, your plumbing is part of the family. And just like your other important relationships, when drains don’t get the attention and care they need, they can cause all sorts of problems.
Drain Services and Doing Your Part
First and foremost, as drain specialists, we recommend getting your entire household on board with taking care of the drains. Perhaps give them a name if it helps (we know you have other special items that you name…)
- In the kitchen, just say no to grease and food down the drain. Otherwise, Oscar will get grouchy. We strongly suggest keeping a grease jar nearby to collect and cool hot oil. Food particles should go in the trash or the compost.
- In the shower, keep Ophelia happy and shake off any sand or dirt prior to stepping in. Brush your hair first and use a hair trap to minimize hair down the drain.
- In the laundry, Larry requests that you shake out clothing covered in sand, dirt, or mud before loading the washer.
- Help Lou take care of the toilet by only flushing body waste and small amounts of toilet paper.
It may seem silly, but naming your various drains will help you personalize those relationships in meaningful ways that significantly benefit you in the long run!
Drain Services and Proper Maintenance
Take your drain relationship to the next level by scheduling routine drain cleaning! Depending on the age and type of your pipes and any previous maintenance, we can help you create a preventative maintenance plan that keeps your drains clean, happy, and flowing smoothly. This not only prevents most backups, blockages, and smelly issues but also extends the longevity of your pipes.
If your pipes are acting up, we offer a number of drain services to quickly identify and solve the issue. It’s possible your pipes have been neglected and have blockages or cracks. Even if you are maintaining your pipes, factors beyond your control may affect your pipes such as tree roots or old age. Whatever the issue, we have a variety of tools to help get you and your drains back to your happy place.
- Drain Snake: for basic issues, we can use a snake tool to either remove the material creating the clog or break it up to flush it out.
- Hydrojetting Technology: for larger issues, or if you want to send some extra love to your pipes we will use a high power hose to thoroughly clean and remove whatever is blocking your pipes.
- Picote Descaling or Spray Liner: if you have old pipes or it’s been a long while since your pipes received any TLC, we may need to use different techniques to remove old buildup and repair or restore the pipes.
Come back next week when we’ll dive in to Part II of
Maintaining Relationships With Your Drains!
And don’t hesitate to call Mitch Clemmons Plumbing if you need
help working things out with your drains. We are here for you!